Archive for the 'Nokia E71' Category

Configuring the Nokia E71 VPN client for a Cisco system

I embarked on this effort in an effort to syncronise my phone calendar and contacts with the Exchange server at work when I was unable to get the desired 2 way sync over the air using the other tools that are out there at the moment (Google mobile sync, Nokia PC suite etc).

The Nokia VPN client supports a variety of VPN systems which is one of the reasons that it is a nightmare to configure. That coupled with a baffling “Configuration Tool” that lists a raft of parameters and settings, none of which seemed to be mentioned anywhere in the Cisco VPN client that I had on my PC and was trying to emulate.

All I really wanted to configure were

  • a VPN gateway (IP address)
  • a Group name
  • A Group Password
  • A username
  • A user password

This proved a lot more difficult than I expected. 

It turns out that the terminology I needed to know, that was used on the Nokia VPN configuration tool was

  • The Cisco VPN that supports Group and User authenticate is “Cisco ASA using Private Shared Key” authorisation – There is a template that you can load which populates most of the settings
  • Authentication method is Pre Shared key
  • Identity type is 11 – Vendor specific
  • Identity Value is the Groupname
  • The Preshared key is the group password (un-encrypted)
  • There is nowhere to provide the username/password, you are prompted for this by the client when you connect
  • This form of authorisation, Group > User is called XAUTH which should be set to TRUE in the tool
  • I needed to change the Encryption algorithm to 3DES-CBC in both the IPsec settings and the IKE proposals section so I recommend fiddling with this setting if nothing is working
  • I also changed Send notification in the IKE settings to TRUE but I don’t know if thats important

Good luck!

No comments

Problems tethering Nokia via Bluetooth

I spent 3 hours today trying to work out why I could tether my Nokia E71 via USB without a problem but could not managed to get it working over Bluetooth.

I have the latest version of the Novia PC Suite and had successfully paired the device so that all other PC Suite services (file manager, apploader etc) were working.

It turns out that I had 2 Bluetooth Dial up Networking connections, one was the “Nokia E71 Bluetooth Modem(OTA)” and the other was a generic Microsoft Bluetooth Modem. The Nokia one was not being used for some reason.

To rectify this,

  • I opened up “My Bluetooth” dialogue
  • Right clicked on the “Dial up networking” service under the paired Nokia device for properties
  • Select the Nokia Bluetooth Modem from the list instead of the Generic one.
  • Apply the settings

I then deleted the extraneous Bluetooth Dial-up connection from “Network Connections” to make sure it didnt get inadvertantly selected again.

No comments